Sponsoring Children and other Relatives

In some circumstances your own children, or your spouse’s children, may not have come to Canada with you, and it is nearly always possible to sponsor them, provided they are under age 22. If older, you may still sponsor them if they are financially dependent on you and studying or if they are physically or mentally handicapped. The same general considerations apply to adopted children, although there are safeguards built in to the Act to try and ensure the adoption is genuine and in the best interests of the child. Now that proposed changes to the laws regarding Citizenship have been enacted, a different mechanism may apply, and these adopted children may become Canadian citizens through adoption. However this is a situation where you may want to obtain professional advice: there are disadvantages for the children if they acquire citizenship by adoption, and ithey may be better advised to become permanent residents via the sponsorship process.

Sponsoring other relatives

Under the laws enacted by the Federal Government you may sponsor any of the following: brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces or grandchildren, but only if they are orphans, and under the age of 18 when the application is filed, and provided also that they are not married or living in a common-law relationship.

Several provinces have however enacted legislation whereby close relatives such as the above may be sponsored by a close relative who is a resident of that province, even though they may be aged over 18 and are not orphaned.

Other applications

Finally, if none of the above applies, and you are all alone in Canada, there is an exception to the Federal regulations whereby you are allowed to sponsor a sole remaining family member living outside Canada.

Specific details may vary in individual cases, so you may wish to Contact us or  Pay for an initial consultation before you initiate the sponsorship process.