Sponsoring Parents or Grandparents

When undertaking to sponsor your relatives, you will need to show proof that your income meets the guidelines. Your spouse or common-law partner can co-sign if he/she wants to.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada are accepting new applications in this category. There is a cap of applications per year, so it is advisable to early as possible in the year, which of course suggests there is an advantage to starting an application well in advance of the end of the year!

In order to sponsor, the children/grandchildren must have an income that is at least 30 percent above the Low Income Cut Off (LICO) for each of  the 3 years prior to the application. There is also a “Super Visa” program for temporary residence in Canada, whereby parents and grandparents can stay in Canada for up to 24 months at a time. The “Super Visa” is valid for 10 years.

Specific details may vary in individual cases, so you may wish to Contact us or  pay for an initial consultation before you initiate the sponsorship process or apply for the “Super Visa”.