Temporary work permits for Canada

The immigration rules regarding working in Canada are complex, however in most instances foreign nationals will require an offer of employment and a work permit before starting to work for an employer in Canada.

Obtaining a work permit in Canada often requires first obtaining a Labour Market Opinion (“LMO”) from Service Canada.

The LMO requires employers to meet specific advertising requirements in order to demonstrate there is a Labour Market Shortage in the specific occupation for which the employer is seeking to hire a foreign national, and as a result the employer is unable to find suitable Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada to fill the vacancy.

Advertising requirements differ, depending on whether the employment offer is for a skilled position, or is considered to fall into the low-skilled category.

Procedure for obtaining a Work Permit
Once the Labour Market Opinion is issued, the foreign national may apply for a work permit. In some cases application will need to be made to a visa post overseas together with application for a temporary resident visa. In other instances, application for a work permit may be made at a Port of Entry, or inland if the applicant is already in Canada.

An alternative, if a Labour Market Opinion is required for the employee to work in Canada, may be to obtain a Provincial Nomination. In either of these situations, once a skilled worker has received a work permit and is working for an employer, they will usually be able to apply for permanent residence.

If you are an employer or an employee interested in finding out more about how a foreign national can work in Canada, please feel free to Contact us.