The Government of Canada has introduced a visa category for skilled tradespeople. An overview of this category is provided below.

The Skilled Trades in the regulations are identified as being any occupation within the following National Occupational Classification Groups:

  • (a) Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades;
  • (b) Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades;
  • (c) Major Group 82, supervisors and technical occupations in natural resources, agriculture and related production;
  • (d) Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators;
  • (e) Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks; and (f) Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers :

Applicants will need to have obtained at least 2 years of continous full time experience (or the part-time equivalent experience) in the 5 year period before their application is received. This experience must have been obtained after the applicant became licensed or qualified to work in their trade in their home country

Applicants will also need to meet the standards set by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration for language ability in English French. These standards are expected to be lower than for federal skilled workers.

The applicant will need to be able to satisfy licensing or apprenticeship requirements to carry out their trade in Canada, and, if not aleady working in Canada under a work permit, will need to have an offer of employment for at least 1 full year. To cater for the situation where, in specific imdutries, work is usually not available for a full year, it is also acceptable for 2 employers to offer work to the applicant. The total time the applicant must work for these employers, is 1 continuous year.

Candidates who qualify under the Federal Skilled Trades category will still have to proceed through the Express Entry system and receive an Invitation to Apply before thay can immigrate.

The following is required to qualify under this category

  • A minimum standard of language proficiency in English or French is needed.
  • Foreign qualifications will need to be evaluated to determine their equivalency to Canadian qualifications.
  • Younger applicants are favoured – the range where applicants will score maximum points is 18-35.
  • Maximum points for foreign work experience will be awarded for 6 or more years of skilled work experience obtained outside Canada
  • Prior work in Canada will give the principal applicant extra points.
  • Five points will be swarded if the applicant’s spouse or common-law partner has some ability in English or French.
  • Additional adaptibility points will be awarded for the sposue or common-law partner’s prior Canadian study or work experience, or for a relative in Canada who is aged at least 18 and who is a permanent resident or Canadian citizen.
  • Candidates require a score of 67 points to qualify

To access an automated assessment for this new category Click here.

Candidates who qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker Program will still have to receive an Invitation to Apply through the Express Entry system before thay can immigrate.